Skip to main content

Get Organized with Your Tax Preparation

By January 5, 2015Accounting, Taxes

This is the email we sent out to our clients to help them get things going for tax season.  Even if you are going to do your taxes yourself, this has all the resources you need to organize yourself.

“This is a long email and all the info included is important to make sure your tax filings go as smooth as possible. Please read all of it. 🙂

First – An overview of the tax filing process

1 – Sign engagement letter via Docusign (you get a separate email)

2- You gather your tax docs

3- Use the organizers if you want

4 – Get us the tax docs and we prepare the tax returns

5- You get a chance to look at the return before it’s filed.

6 – The return then gets filed

7 – Enjoy life again – stress free of tax issues

You will get an email from us via Docusign.  This allows you to electronically sign the engagement letter and should take you less than 2 minutes to get back to us.

Gathering your tax docs is often seen as eating an elephant, which is why it is often pushed off.  So I will say this, “All human performance happens to a deadline.”  Give yourself a deadline, put it on your schedule or calendar, and stick to it.

I have attached some organizers to help you through the process.  Please choose the organizer that fits your preference and situation.  For example, if you don’t like the long organizer, don’t fill it out.  Just use the shorter one.


  • The first attachment labeled “2014 Long Tax Organizer“, 2014 Tax Organizer (Long) is the very lengthy tax organizer. It is very thorough.
  • The second attachment labeled “Individual Organizer_shorter“, Individual Organizer_shorteris a shorter organizer.  This short one is certainly not as thorough as the longer one, but it covers the most common items and is sufficient for most.
  • The third attachment labeled “Rental OrganizerRental Organizer should be used if you have a rental property.  It is designed to help you organize the income and rental expenses.  If at any point you aren’t sure what you can and can’t write off, call or email us and let’s talk about it.
  • The fourth attachment labeled “Business OrganizerBusiness Organizer can be used for your business activities.  Keep in mind, if you are using something like Quickbooks or Freshbooks or, you would just get us the info from that and not need to worry about filling this out.  If at any point you aren’t sure what you can and can’t write off, call or email us and let’s talk about it.
  • The fifth attachment labeled “Business Tax OrganizerBusiness Tax Organizer is a different layout than the above attachment.  It’s an excel file designed to help you report your business income and expenses.  If you don’t have a system to tracking your business activity, this might be the file you want to use.
  • The sixth attachment is an engagement letter.  Engagement Letter InciteThis is a copy of what you will get via Docusign.  Use the docusign server to get this to us as fast as possible.  It will only take a few minutes.
  • The seventh attachment is a reader’s digest version of common business deductions and categories. Common Business Deductions and Categories


If you use Quickbooks, we need either (1)a standard Profit and Loss report and a balance sheet report, or (2) email us a backup copy of your Quickbooks. (Go to file, save a backup copy, email to me).  Please do not send an “accountant’s copy” to us.


If the above templates aren’t your thing, and you have developed your own system for getting us your tax info, then do that.  We are just providing recommendations and resources in case they help.


IMPORTANT – If we already have the info in some other form, you do not need to put the duplicate info on the organizer.  Some examples – if we did last year’s tax return, we don’t need everyone’s name and ssn and birth dates.  We would only need to know if you are adding a new dependent, if your address or contact info changed, etc.  If you have a w-2 and you send us a copy of it, you don’t need to put any w-2 info on the organizer.  If you get a mortgage statement (1098), you don’t need to put any of that info on the organizer.  We are capable of pulling the appropriate info off those forms and hope to save you from wasting time giving us duplicate info.


After you have your tax docs together, get them to us. We have multiple choices for you to get us the tax docs.  Our preferred method is to get it by email.  You can also upload your documents to our client portal through (If you don’t remember your username or password, ask Heather ( for help.)  You can drop off your tax docs or mail them to our location at  9131 S Monroe Plaza Way Ste B, Sandy, UT 84070.


Once we have the docs, our goal and intention is to get to you the completed returns within 2 weeks.  After we’re done with the return, we will email you a copy so you can review it. After you have had a chance to look it over, you sign off on it, the return gets filed.


The filing deadline for an S Corporation and Corporation is March 15, 2015.

The filing deadline for the individual tax return and partnership returns is April 15, 2015.

I need your information 15 days prior to the deadline in order to guarantee I get the return done on time. 

 Please get us your tax information as soon as possible.


REMINDER about TAX OWED – Income taxes are ALWAYS due April 15th regardless of if you file on time or if you file an extension.  So if you are worried about how much you will owe in taxes, get us your info as soon as possible.  Even if we file your return in January, you don’t have to pay the tax until April 15.  That would give you three months to know exactly what you will owe in April.  Also, if you usually get a refund, and are pretty sure you are going to get a refund again, why wait to get your money from the IRS.  File as soon as possible.


REMINDER about IRS penalties – There are failure to file penalties and failure to pay penalties.  If you do not file on time (including extensions) the failure to file penalty is usually 5 percent of the unpaid tax for each month up to a max of 25 percent of the unpaid tax.  The failure to pay penalty is 1/2 of 1 percent of the unpaid taxes for each month.  So it’s better to at least file the return even if you can’t pay the tax.”

Leave a Reply